What is a Safe Sports Space?
- A sports space where all athletes, coaches, physical education students and teachers, and spectators and families are safe and treated with respect, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression
- A place such as a gym, pool, track, playing field, locker room, weight room, training room, coaches’ or teachers’ offices, or any other sports space in a school
- A place where name-calling, bullying or harassment of any kind is not tolerated
- A place where everyone can enjoy sports and physical education activities
How to Let Everyone Know that Your School’s Sport Spaces Are Safe
- Put up Safe Sports Space stickers in the gym, weight room, locker room, coaches’/teachers’ offices, classrooms or any other sports space in your school
- Let everyone—teachers and students in physical education classes and coaches and athletes on sports teams—who uses that space know what it means to use Safe Sport Space.
- Post Safe Sport Space Rules and review them with physical education classes and sports teams.
- Remind anyone who forgets that your school sports spaces are safe so everyone can enjoy the game.
How to Get Safe Sports Space Stickers
- Contact Changing the Game: The GLSEN Sports Project at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To order Safe Sports Space items, visit our Sports Shop
Our School’s Safe Sports Space Rules
- All are welcome, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.
- No teasing or taunting.
- No name-calling.
- No bullying.
- Play by the rules.
- Treat others with respect.
- Cheer others on.
- Share the ball and take turns.
- Have fun.
- Win or lose, be a good sport.
You can also order a Safe Space Kit for your school here to ensure that every space in your school is a safe space.