Joanna Lohman is a professional soccer player for the Philadelphia Independence in the Women’s Professional Soccer league (WPS). In the 2010 WPS season, Lohman was tied as the second leading goal scorer for the Independence with 5 goals, starting 20 of 24 games.
Lohman attended Pennsylvania State University where she scored 19 goals and had six assists her senior season at Penn State, finishing career No. 5 in all-time goals scored (41), No. 2 in assists (37), No. 4 in points (114) and first with eight game-winning goals.
She was also was:
- Named Pennsylvania’s NCAA Woman of the Year in 2004
- Two-time M.A.C. Hermann Trophy finalist (2002-03)
- Two-time Honda Sports Award Finalist (2002-03)
- Finalist for the Collegiate Women’s Sports Award for Women’s Soccer in 2003
- Big Ten Player of the Year in 2003
- First four-time First Team All-Big Ten selection in Penn State history (2000-03)
- Three-time NSCAA All-American selection (2001-03)
- Three-time CoSIDA Academic All-American (2001-03)
- One of three recipients of Penn State’s Outstanding Senior Athlete Award in 2003
- Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2000
Lohman played with the United States Women’s National soccer team from 2004-2010, taking part in the 2004 Olympic Residency Training Camp. Prior to this, Lohman was a member of U21 U.S. national team from 2000-2005, captaining the squad from 2003-04 and helped lead the U21 team to three Nordic Cup championships, earning MVP honors in 2002.
Lohman was born on June 26th, 1982 in Silver Spring, MD. She is a proud, “out”, professional athlete and has been featured in the Philly Magazine gay affiliate, GPhilly. She is part of the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce and a featured speaker with the National Gay and Lesbian Journalist Association. She is also Vice President of the commercial real estate firm, Tenant Consulting, based in Washington, DC.
Lohman has her own blog: www.joannalohman.wordpress.com and is a featured blogger for the WPS. She also writes for “Our Game Magazine” and “Inkandescent” Magazine. She is on facebook and twitter: @joannalohman.